Sunday, October 12, 2014

Anxiety.. How I put a stop to it.





Being a twenty something women, working full-time, fitting in 5:30am gym sessions, spending time with my other half, catching up with the girls for coffee, spending some time with my family and fitting in some 20-minute reading can be quite confronting at times.

(Did you feel exhausted reading that?)

I am sure, no no I am definite that if you are reading this, you have experienced anxiety some point in your life. Maybe you are experiencing it right now!

So you ask… what is anxiety? Where does it come from? Are you suffering from it?

Lets start with the basics.

Anxiety is described as a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease about something with an uncertain outcome.  

In other words, it’s a silly little feeling that creeps up on us in unnecessary situations and at unnecessary times of our lives, because we allow the feeling to over-take our emotions and personal state of thought.

What a wonderful world it would be to not have to worry, or feel over-whelmed, because you have strategies in place to help prevent yourself from even standing near that line which reaches from feeling fine> feeling not fine.


I am quite a sensitive person, and sometimes I do let things get the best of me. I mean, I am human, I make mistakes, I cry, I yell and I get anxious.

Just because you go through these reactions doesn’t mean you have to give up on a positive outcome.

Below is a list of ways I have found that have worked best for me, regarding my personal state for when it comes to anxiety.

§  - Speak to someone. Whether that be your mum, dad, sister, brother, best friend, boyfriend, girlfriend, neighbour or family doctor… it can make a huge different on your situation (or state) when you have someone to support and listen to you.

§ -  Start to get active. For me and my busy bee schedule, fitting in my 5:30am workout is just as important to me as it is showering.. And yes I know you’re reading this thinking wow, 5:30am is pretty darn early. But it’s the only time I found that has worked for me. I am alert, I am a lot happier and I am more relaxed when I fit in exercise into my day/week.

§   - Read a book. Not just any ol’ book, but an actual strategically informative and knowledgeable book.  I recommend this to anyone who isn’t 100% comfortable just yet in speaking to someone (like a counsellor). My top three books I recommend based on my personal experience and state is Change Your Thinking by Sarah Edelman, The Clean Life by Jessica Sepel and You Can Heal Your Life by Louise L hay.

§  - Close your mouth. If you are experience an actual panic attack and your anxiety is rising, and you feel your body becoming tense, you need to close your mouth and breathe through your nose. This will help control your breathing, halving the amount of air you consume which initially will stop you from taking big gulps of air, helping to slow down your breathing.

§  - Belly exercises. This is a great way to relax your body and wind-down. All do is lay on your back (bed or floor, whatever is most comfortable) and put your legs up against the wall.  The goal is to take slow, deep breaths, about ten or so, and as you inhale you hold your belly.  I do this before bed while I am reading a book.

§  - Take a big sip of water, and walk away. If you have been sitting in the same surroundings for a long time (2-3 hours plus) this is not only not good for your physical health, but also your mental wellbeing. I try to get up from my desk every 45-60 mins and just walk around, have a light stretch or get some fresh air outside.  Getting in that extra couple of minutes of sunshine can make a huge different to your concentration levels too, so make sure you get at least 30 minutes of sunshine a day.

§  - Acknowledge how you’re feeling. Simple to say? Yes. But, simple to do? No. I have had times where I am driving in my car, and suddenly it creeps up on me…I get these butterflies in my stomach, I start to lose my concentration and I get quite upset.  I now no that this is the start of anxiety. I say to myself “I am feeling anxious “, and then I question my actions, thoughts and situations, which have occurred from that day (or night before if it is in the morning). When you start to question why you are feeling anxious, why you are getting upset or why you are feeling nervous, it puts a different perspective on the situation.  I speak to my partner when I feel like this, and he always re-assures me that everything is ok, nothing is wrong and any issue that has arisen from the day can be dealt with tomorrow. This is also when a diary can come in handy, and a gratitude diary. When you are grateful for things, it shifts your negative or fragile thinking to a more satisfied, positive state.

§  - Have a cup of tea, and read your favourite magazine. I like doing this on the weekend, when the sun is shining and the house is people-free. This would also link into my ‘me time’.  I love reading Women’s Health magazine, Cosmopolitan and Good Health.

§  - Try Yoga. I am not really a fan (not yet anyway) but I have a free pass for a whole month, so I am trying to get the most out of it. Yoga is a fantastic way to better your breathing, increase your strength and flexibility, relax your mind and help with your digestive area.

§  - Buy a bunch of flowers for your room, clean and tidy your surrounding’s and light a candle. I think it is the simple things we do that we get the most enjoyment from.

§  - Be with people who make you feel happy and safe.  Of course, it is great to feel independent and no that you are confident with your own company, but sometimes it is best to be with people you love. When I am feeling a little bit nervous or un-settled from the day, I like to go out to dinner my boyfriend or the girls and just r-e-l-a-x and e-n-j-o-y myself. Life is about good feed, good company and making good memories.

§  - Know your worth. If we can all understand that we are beautiful souls put on this earth to make ourselves and other people happy, that we are meant to laugh and cry, that we are supposed to feel up and down at times, that we are not perfect but we can be positive. If you can understands that this is life, it has hurdles, we all face our own issues and troubles, but half the time, we react bigger then the actual situation. No body or no situation deserves a big, catastrophic reaction. So repeat after me. “I am calm. I trust the process of life. I am grateful. I am content with my life and the people in it. Life loves me. I am safe”.




Vanessa xx

No comments:

Post a Comment