Saturday, November 22, 2014

Interview with Sarah Lawther



Not only is she a good friend of mine, but Miss Sarah Lawther is an absolute health inspiration! She has personally taught me to look at health in a different perspective. Not to just think of it in terms of 'diet' or in a restricting way, but to see your health as a wonderful gift, that we should all cherish and learn to look after. See below for our interview about wellbeing and health.


What is your personal approach on health and wellbeing?

I believe being healthy relates to your physical and emotional wellbeing. Happiness comes from being content and balanced in every aspect of your life- from eating a balanced diet, incorporating exercise and also having a healthy social life. I don’t think there should be a stereotype for what is ‘healthy’ as long as a person is happy within themselves, eats foods full of nutrients and treats their body with respect that’s what I consider healthy, regardless of your appearance.

 What does your day typically look like in terms of eating? 

I follow a raw diet, (well I wouldn’t exactly call it a diet at all, its more just a guideline for eating healthy, fresh ingredients like fruit and veggies) sometimes it can be challenging sticking strictly to a raw lifestyle, so I generally stick to a low sugar approach.

*Breakfast is: oats with crushed almonds and a little bit of honey

*Snack: Homemade Gluten & Sugar free Banana Bread (can give the recipe if wanted) fruit salad with coconut ice-cream, and/or hummus dip with carrots/celery/capsicum.

*Lunch: includes grains with warm veggies, for example brown rice and lentils with mashed sweet potato and chili sauce and steamed spinach.

* Snack: Almonds with dried apricots or berries or cacao chocolate (my fave) and/or an

*Alkalising which is lemon, aloe vera juice, cucumber and celery.

*Dinner: I normally have steamed vegetables with protein like steamed fish or eggs.

*Desert:- any of the above snacks and cacao coconut icecream and/or fruit.

When did you start to educate yourself more on being healthy? 

Ever since I started working at a holistic health centre. It opened my eyes to how powerful nutrition is to the body as a form of medicine. I also learn’t how damaging foods such as fast food, soda and sugar can actually poison the body and show up as many different symptoms- leading to disease and illness.

What type of exercise do you do to stay in shape?

I mainly do home workouts using  small weights and a skipping rope. I also occasionally do reformer Pilates classes and yoga which I love.

What advice would you give to other women when it comes to looking after themselves?

I strongly believe you are what you eat, and if you can change your diet to eat more nourishing foods, foods that give you energy and allow your skin to glow then you will improve not only your appearance but you will also feel so much better on the inside. And who doesn’t want to look and feel good?

Where are some of your favourite places to eat?

I love ‘About life’ the organic café and supermarket. I buy most of my produce from there and eat at the café, their menu has all sorts of varieties of healthy organic options.

I also love Italian food, I mainly choose gluten free options for pastas and pizza, but I find Italians make incredible sauces for steamed veggies and protein and amazing deserts!!.

Do you have any inspiring books that you would recommend to anyone who is trying to start on their health journey?

David Wolfe is one of my favourite illustrators, he is an expert in health and nutrition and has many books targeting beauty through nutrition and examples how good foods can promote positive changes in your health.


Your life motto?

Enjoy every moment that you have, time goes by so fast so be kind, show your loved ones what they mean to you, respect others and most of all give everything a go- you never know how good you may be at something and how achievable your dreams really are.



Follow Sarah:




No comments:

Post a Comment