Saturday, November 22, 2014

Interview with Rebecca Sedgman






I have been following this beauty on Instagram for quite some time now, and it's safe to say she is such a inspiration in so many ways! She truly is that girl who loves life, and life loves her right back. 

She juggles her work and personal life so perfectly and I think that we could all learn a thing or too about really going that extra mile when it comes to doing things we love, and doing anything we can to get where we want to be.



Tell me a little bit about yourself and the work you do?
I'm 22 y/o, engaged to the man of my dreams, and living my passion as a Sydney based hair and makeup artist. I also work full time for Lorna Jane but have lots of big plans to be doing what I love full time soon enough.


How long have you been doing makeup and hair?
Five years I've been in the industry of hair and makeup!


You come from a competing background, did you put your passion on-hold while preparing for your comps? (or did you juggle work/passion/competing?)
It was hard- I couldn't work much doing my hair and makeup jobs so I probably pushed my passion back for the whole 10 months while I was prepping for three shows. I still worked full time at Lorna Jane, managed to run a household and maintain my relationship to where it is today. As well as training, cooking, eating, sleeping, and repeating... again and again and again- VERY tiring! 


What made you decided to compete?
I did it for myself as an experience. Before I met my fiancĂ©, my ex was a very negative person, and saw [competing] as being 'skanky'. When we broke up I contacted a coach and started prepping for myself and loved the seeing changes.  It's all about having a positive journey to that one day on stage where you have the best day after so much hard work. You can just SHINE. Glowing star 

How has it felt since getting back into your 'normal' routine? (post-comp life) in terms of diet and emotional health?
Not going to lie- it's been tough. Competing [in fitness shows] gives you a lot of issues post comp. My relationship with food, my body, and my training had completely changed. You can blow out after wanting to eat everything. I'm going through some health issues at the moment, but I'm working with another coach who follows IIFYM style, to get my hormones and cortisol back to normal. 



Do you think you will ever compete again?
Not for a while that's for sure. For one, it takes a toll on your health and also is very very expensive. When you think about it especially while I'm planning a wedding- the whole prep with having to buy fresh food three times a week, bikinis, tan, posing lessons, registration for your show and then paying per category you enter, I'm lucky I was able to do my own hair and makeup and tanning though - perks of the trade!

You are also a Lorna Jane girl, tell me what you love about working for LJ?
The girls I work with- we all have such a special family like bond. The clothes are fantastic too and I love the philosophy of what MNB stand for. 

How do you stay in balance?
Plan, prepare and succeed. Taking the time out of my day to have some sort of time to myself and give myself a rest from constantly doing everything! 

What are some of your favourite ways to stay healthy and energetic throughout the week?
Mixing up your workouts- I've found this to be great! I train at Virgin Active and they have the best range of classes to do!Also, never restricting yourself. Your body needs cheat meals to keep your metabolism guessing. It will work in your favour physically and mentally but all in balance Winking face

What does a typical week look like for you?
Working full time Sunday to Thursday and have my RDOs (rest days off) on Friday and Saturdays, which is usually filled with my makeup work. After work most days I'll train and on the weekends I generally like to catch up with family or friends. 

Where do you see yourself in five years time?
Married! Yay! Possibly with children and hopefully a successful makeup artist doing well in my own business- it's my goal as I can pick the hours I work especially if I have a family of my own I want to be spending as much time as I can with them. Heavy black heart

Where can we find you? 
IG- @beccythemakeupartist & business IG @kissnmakeupsydney  
FACEBOOK page - kiss'N'makeup 



No comments:

Post a Comment