Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Getting fit the easy way

When you want to get fit, certain things may pop into your head.
-        How do I do this
-        How much will it cost
-        How do I become motivated
-        How do I stay motivated
-        Do I need to hire a personal trainer
-        Do I have to workout in the morning or afternoon
-        What workout will make me lose weight fast
-        How consistent do I have to be
-        Can I still eat chocolate
-        What if I cant afford a membership or a personal trainer
-        Should I just stop now and pray for a miracle or..

It’s quite over-whelming. With so many gym’s offering no contracts and cheap ass access 24 hours a day (because we all thought it was a good idea to workout at 3:00am…), personal trainers offering you the world plus a cute bum just in time for summer, and now every Insta-famous-Fitness-Girl is selling their Ebook for just $29.95.

Can we just all stop and take a moment to realise that before gym ‘selfies’ were cool and you only needed to have a TAFE certificate in Fitness to claim you can make someone fit overnight, there was such a thing as just doing simple exercises.

That’s right. No need to sloth away at the gym three times a day to see results. No need to restrict yourself from the best foods in the world (looking at you peanut butter). No need to feel guilty and upset that you slept in and missed your early morning workout.

But, before I start contradicting myself here, I do need to say this. Some people live and breathe fitness and health, and they’re so determined to make someone realise that it does not matter what the dam scales say, all that matters is that you are genuinely happy- well those people, I would throw a dime or two for their programmes.

These particular gods (smart people) deserve your time, because they really do want the best possible outcome for you. I feel as though when you’re lacking motivation, you need a pick-me-up, or you just need a new, fresh routine, and in which case you should of course holla’ at them.

One lady in particular, Chloe Ashman, who runs The Healthy Body Project, has helped me over-come my on and off fitness anxiety. Formally a close friend, then my trainer, and still friend, she is defiantly someone I would recommend to anybody who is looking to invest into something worthy. 

But back to where I started from, you really don’t need an over-load of information that sounds pretty great, but in retrospect, is just unrealistic. You don’t need to spend half your paycheck just to get results.

So I guess you’re thinking to yourself, well come on Vanessa, tell me what I can actually do to get results, without paying anything!

And this is where the Internet comes in. YouTube to be exact.

Being a human and all, I crave routine and structure. I get bored very easy, and tend to lose my focus. This means that I need something with variety, something that wont break the bank, and something that I can do at home, in my very own bedroom.

And so when I cam across XHITDaily, you can imagine how excited I was. They have over 800 FREE workout videos, with each video focusing on something different. The majority of the videos are anywhere between 10-30 minutes long- perfect for when you need to sweat fast, in a short amount of time.




They have a funny British instructor, who goes through every exercise with you, all timed on a clock. There are usually 10 different exercises that make up the workout, for which go for about 60 seconds each.

The way I see it, I come home after work, I get into my zone, light my candle, grab some water and pop my towel down. Then, I flip my laptop up and pick a workout that seems appealing to me at the time. I try to stick to two body groups such as leg’s and bum or abs and arms.

For me personally, I would so much rather workout in the comfort of my own home, with my own music and no distractions. Thankfully my room is big enough for me to jump around like a crazy lady. If you don’t have a lot of space in your room, try the lounge room or backyard.

So, with literally hundreds of different workout videos, which are so easy to follow (even my ten year old sister can do them) and again let’s really emphasize on the words free and fast, what’s not to love!

As well as lusting over the XHIT Daily videos, I also enjoy doing Barre Body once or twice a week. And if you didn’t already know by now, I do love a good ol’ free workout.

The Baree Body Online Studio has free express workout videos which again are converted into different body groups, and how much time you have to workout.

Again, perks of doing these workouts in your room means no judgment from fellow yoga loving peeps. Ahem, I am yet to master the ‘downward dog’.


The good thing about the Internet is that there is literally thousands of different avenues you can do down when it comes to your health and wellbeing. You can Google ‘free workouts’, ‘free nutrition plans’, ‘free chocolate’, you know, you can literally Google anything.

But in all honesty, I have never been more focused than ever, nor have I stuck to anything as long as I have with this routine I have going at the moment. And, I’ve actually lost two kilos since starting this.

Below I have created a timetable for which you can tweak to suite your needs, if you wanted to give this online workout thing a go. And with Christmas just around the corner, it’s best to have a routine on hand so you don’t fall off the ban wagon.

You can obviously alter this to what ever exercise you prefer, say pilates, Bikram yoga or watching the Kardashains. (Lifting that remote is strenuous work guys).



xx Vanessa


No comments:

Post a Comment